Microwave Cooking Safety

Spring is here and so is the busy family schedule as we run here and there with all the fun outdoor activities. With busy lives, families rely on the microwave oven as a quick way to heat up a meal, warm up a drink or defrost dinner. While the convenience of the microwave oven is something we take for granted, safety should not be. By following a few simple safety tips you can prevent painful burns and possible fires.

  • PURCHASE a microwave oven that has the label of an independent testing laboratory. Make sure to complete and return the product registration card. This way the manufacturer can reach you if there is a recall on the product.
  • PLUG the microwave oven directly into the wall outlet — never use an extension cord.
  • MAKE sure the microwave oven is at a safe height, within easy reach of all users.
  • OPEN food slowly, away from the face. Hot steam or the food itself can cause burns.
  • FOOD heats unevenly in microwave ovens. Stir and test before eating or giving to children.
  • NEVER heat a baby bottle in the microwave. Since a microwave oven heats unevenly, it can create hot pockets, leading to burns. Warm a bottle in a bowl of warm water — not hot or boiling.
  • Always supervise older children when they are using a microwave oven.
  • Avoid letting young children use the microwave oven.
  • Use only microwave-safe food containers or dishes. Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven.
  • IF YOU HAVE A FIRE in the microwave, leave the door closed, turn the microwave off and unplug it from the wall. If the fire does not go out, get outside and call the fire department.

For More Information, please head over to http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/cooking

This entry was posted in Main. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Microwave Cooking Safety

  1. I am very happy that I have a chance to read such an informative post. Hopefully, I’ll get more informative posts from you in the future. Thank you for this.

  2. Ora Artis says:

    It’s very important to not to use an extension cord. Microwaves use a high amount of current and their wires are designed for it. But an extension cord is most likely designed for more general usage which needs lower current and is cheap. That basically can cause your extension cable burn. Thanks for the article guys.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>