When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes. Portable space heaters have become a popular way to supplement central heating or to heat one room. If you plan to use portable electric space heaters, make sure to follow these tips and recommendations.
- Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
- Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off should it tip over.
- Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit!
- Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord!
- Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.