CANDLE FIRE SAFETY

Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

Think about using flame-less candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles!

If You do use candles please follow some simple safety tips.

■ Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
■ Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that could burn.
■ Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
■ Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
■ Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
■ Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
■ Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
■ Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

FACTS:

• December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
• Roughly one-third of home candle fires start in the bedroom.
• More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.

More startling statistics and information available at

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/candles

This entry was posted in Main. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>