New members are always welcome.
If you are interested in joining the department you can call the Fire Department business line, 664-2241, or stop by one of our training meetings on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 p.m., at the Public Safety Building.
We are now accepting applications for up to 4 part-time weekend daytime coverage Firefighter/EMT’s.
Doing laundry is most likely a part of your families every day routine. But did you know how important taking care of your clothes dryer is to the safety of your home? With a few simple safety tips you can help prevent a clothes dryer fire.
One of the most common causes of dryer fires is lack of maintenance. When lint traps
aren’t cleaned as often as they should be, the resulting build-up in the screen or other areas can cause the dryer to perform poorly, operate at elevated temperatures
and possibly overheat –with dangerous consequences.
Vent systems must also be checked and cleaned to maintain proper air flow for the same
reasons. An important safeguard your family can take is to ensure that your dryer
has rigid or flexible metal venting and ducting materials to help sustain airflow. This will also reduce operating costs and extend the life of the dryer and clothing due to lower
• Clean the lint trap before and after drying each load of clothes.
• Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can be trapped.
• The interior of the dryer and venting system should be cleaned periodically by qualified service personnel. If you notice the drying time is longer, clean the vent system thoroughly
to ensure proper airflow.
• Replace plastic or vinyl exhaust hoses with rigid or flexible metal venting.
• Do not dry clothing/fabric on which there is anything flammable
(alcohol, cooking oils, gasoline, spot removers, dry-cleaning solvents,
etc.). Flammable substances give off vapors that could ignite or explode.
• Don’t forget to read manufacturers’ warnings in use and care manuals
that accompany new dryers. Also, warning markings can usually
be found on the inside of the dryer’s lid and take only minutes to read.
9 Volt Batteries a Fire Hazard
New Hampshire State Fire Marshal’s Office encourages you to locate your extra batteries and learn how to store them properly.
In July, a fire broke out in a kitchen “junk” drawer which the resident stated she had just cleaned and organized. The fire produced smoke throughout the first floor of the home. In the drawer were spare keys, a cigarette lighter, paper clips, eye glass cleaner, and some batteries in a baggie along with everything else that you find in a “junk” drawer.
The local fire department determined the cause of the fire to be from a 9 volt battery stored in the same baggie with other batteries. The 9 volt battery rubbed against another battery and ignited the fire. In the homeowner’s words, “We were fortunate not have been away for the weekend!”
A 9 volt battery is a fire hazard because the positive and negative posts are on top, right next to one another. If the ends come in contact with anything metal i.e. aluminum foil, steel wool, paper clip, other batteries, etc. this will create the object to heat up and ignite a fire.
To store, keep in original packaging or keep ends covered. For disposal, make sure that the positive and negative posts are safely wrapped in electrical tape.
Remember to check your smoke alarms each month to ensure your family has the early warning to get out safely if a fire should occur in your home.
With temperatures rising up and through the 90′s this Summer, please if you or anyone you know needs relief from the heat, please use alternative resources to stay cool.
The Barrington Public Library located at 105 Ramsdell Lane is open Monday – Saturday. Monday & Friday 10am – 6pm; Tues and Thurs 10am – 7pm; Wed 10am – 8pm and Saturday 10am 3pm
The Public Safety Building, which houses the Barrington Police, Fire & EMS is also available as a Beat The Heat resource. We are open Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm.
Stay Cool! Drink Plenty of Fluids! Check On Your Neighbor!